Skip to main content

Hero

Hero

The Hero of my tale-whom I love with all the power of my soul, whom I have tried to portray in all his beauty, who has been, is, and will be beautiful-is truth.

Leo Tolstoy 

I fall asleep a lot, and I like to consider my sleeping pattern normal, although when it happens during a film, I question whether I  am in fact tired or ultimately bored.  I watch films to learn, be challenged, swept through the tide that is so often called life without having to go through it myself.  All the time though I am watching the hero or heroine, who is going to teach me a thing or two, show me how its done, or pose in the moment, expressing the truth.

Through time, stories will dictate a version of that truth and it will be the hero that will be at the forefront of this.  Fourteen years ago I came across Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, and more recently Christopher Vogel's summary of that.  Filmmakers around the world have embraced the concept and admittedly when the films do follow this structure I find I'm not bored, or fall asleep.  I join the hero or heroine through his or her journey and I find by the end of it I have vouched for them, learnt something and finally applauded.

In writing stories or films the hero must undergo a number of steps, and it will be worth reading up on Vogel's writing to get a better understanding of this.  At the onset the hero is in an ordinary world, sympathetically shown to the audience, where he then gets called to the adventure.  He refuses to get involved, for there could be danger, except that he meets a mentor who is a source of wisdom for him.  It is at this point that the hero enters the new region where the conditions are unfamiliar, where he will be tested and sort out his allegiances.  Together they will organise themselves for the new challenges ahead, confronting the biggest ordeal, possibly death, or greatest fears, but out of this a new life will begin. He has possession of this, it is his reward, but as with all rewards, it is just human nature that there is fear the reward may be lost.  The hero will complete his journey, try to bring his reward home, be chased, face fear or death again at the threshold, only to complete this journey with the reward, treasure or thought process that can transform him or the world.  Task accomplished and for the audience satisfaction, relief, lesson learnt.  The hero or heroine has been around us since civilisation began.  Great stories have revolved around them.  As Tolstoy says, the hero is 'truth', and for me it means I don't fall asleep.

Stella Dimadis 2013




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our...
 RENTAL FAMILY "Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family." -  Anthony Brandt . My days became one jumbled hour after hour where time disappeared into another year, until here we are, the 1st of January 2026.  Nothing much stirred me to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, until this evening after  watching RENTAL FAMILY, starring Brendan Fraser.  Phillip Vanderploeg is a struggling actor who is selected to fill in for families as an individual with significance to the family member in need.  He is a writer, dad, mourner, not so much as a true story but reminiscent of Japanese companies serving the community by providing professional actors at events like funerals or weddings. Thereby formulating a whole new meaning to the responsibilities of a plus one. At its core, the film celebrates the connection of the human spirit; the inherent social need that humans have to socialising, being together, in all asp...

The Art In Healing

  "Our creativity is what enables us to function, day to day, in a changing environment, without it we would not be a surviving species". Richard Hill ‘The Art In Healing’ explores the role that creativity and art  play in people’s lives, particularly when personal trauma occurs or when people are afflicted by natural disasters. The inspiration for the film came about by contemplating the questions; ‘Why is art such an important aspect to civilisation and our society’? and ‘Does the human brain benefit from interacting with art, and if so, how’? From these questions a number of people offered their experience and research, especially in describing brain plasticity and the ability of the brain to rewire after an artistic experience. ‘The Art In Healing’ showcases a number of professionals, ranging from art therapists Simona Weinstein and Cornelia Elbrecht, therapist Richard Hill, musicians, Merelyn and David Carter, artist, Dr Anne Riggs, street artist, Amanda Newman...