Skip to main content

TABU

TABU a film by Miguel Gomes


Nothing's said till it's dreamed out in words
And nothing's true that figures in words only.

Les. A Murray (The Daylight moon-1987) 'Poetry and Religion'

TABU























Occasionally a film comes along that makes you sit and watch it with eyes wide open, and any interruption will be snarled at. Tabu is so unique that as a filmmaker faith in the art itself will replenish the creative streak that at times hides for any number of reasons. Tabu is filmed in Black and White. This makes it all the more stronger. The visuals therefore are stark. The film is separated in two parts. Part one aptly named, Paradise Lost which follows the life of Pilar in contemporary Portugal who painstakingly attempts to support her friend, Aurora, who gambles and who thinks that her maid is practising voodoo against her. When Aurora falls violently ill, she asks for one man to come to her bedside, Gian Luca, the love of her life from fifty years ago. What then follows is part two, Paradise, and for me, and in complete narration, I deem this part genius.

Miguel Gomes, as director achieves a dream, whereby he combines brilliancy in the script, an extraordinary adventure and two lovers who entwined in their emotions, passions and whirlwind of an affair find tragedy. The push and pull intensifies between them, until they can no longer be together. There is no woe in the separation, nor in the state of each other at the end of their lives, having forsaken each other, but there is total admiration for the adventure that Gomes puts them in.

It is this aspect, coupled with the incredible script that had me mesmerized. The setting in Africa, allows the magic of film to transpire to the audience and a pet crocodile at the centre of their love becomes completely intriguing. Adventure in film is so important. It provides the utmost in visual stimulation. The script, and the power of every single word spoken is pure charm, music to the ears. So when the two; the strong visuals and the strong words of script come together, then there is perfection.

It is no wonder then that Tabu was a winner at the Berlin Film Festival. More importantly though, it allowed me to think about filmmaking in a different light and to understand that the adventure and the poetic script, combined together will always make a difference and stand out from the rest.

Stella Dimadis 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our
 Nature repeats itself "It never occurs to me that (skulls) have anything to do with death. They are very lively. I have enjoyed them very much in relation to the sky." Georgia O'Keefe In the previous blog, I wrote about the the human form and the importance of it in creativity and art.  Mastering the human form will allow the creator to master other forms in nature. I have some palm trees in the back yard which have surprised me by how high they have become.  They were sold as small trees and now over power my small back area, towering over the trees in suburban Melbourne.  Despite their height, I have enjoyed the changes that they display with each season.  I don't know much about palm trees, but come autumn, they shed some of the old branches and their bark.  Mornings I will wake to find these scattered in my very small yard, did I already say I have a small yard?  You can imagine the space these take.  In any case, recently I found a piece of the bark on the groun

Writer's block

Writer's block The Writer's responsibility is to his art.  He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one.  He has a dream.  It anguishes him so much he must get rid of it.  He has no peace until then... William Faulkner  Having written films, articles, essays, reports, it has always, at one stage or another, plagued me when I have had writer's block.  That moment when I sit staring at the computer screen as if it is an alien standing it's ground in a duel for battle with me.  Eyeing me, daring me to drop my weapons of my imagination.  The frustration builds up and chocolate beckons, serenading the virtues of itself.  It is all too familiar, this battle, and I may have thrown my writing in all together had it not been for my editor in the late 90's when I completed some articles for Who Weekly. I remember grizzling into the phone line with him that my writing was not perfect...there was something missing...I couldn't pinpoint it...it didn't make