Skip to main content

Introduction to Mr Aaron Sterns for the My Deakin World Film Competition

It was a wonderful evening at Deakin Edge last week for the My Deakin World Film Competition where students presented their short films on what it means to be at Deakin University.  Prizes were up for grabs and for me I was enthused to see the creativity that abounds when encouragement is given to students.  This is my introduction to Mr Aaron Sterns, who was the key note speaker of the evening.



I have been pleasantly inspired tonight, by the Short Film, Silent Waltz to Play, and the Enthusiasts films thus far that we have all just watched. It's the words of Edward Young, an English poet of the 17th century that come to mind; for it is our senses that "Take in at once the landscape of the world, At a small inlet, which a grain might close, And half create the wondrous world they see."


Stories come from this place. Stories derive from our senses and are turned into novels, poems and as you have all witnessed today, films. Within one of my blogs, I had once written...”I view filmmaking an art form; pure art stemming from creativity, that forms from the depths of the soul, heart, mind, the world.  It is the small intricacies that form that vision, or rather the poetry of life and all that nature has to offer.  “

I have been blessed to see the world in this way. In attaining my Masters in Film from Deakin University I was given the opportunity to use all my senses in my creative endeavours. The support from the lecturers, tutors and peers was always phenomenal, for at Deakin, you are never just viewed as a student, but as a creator, a thinker, a 'I'm going to put my toe and then my entire self, right on the edge type of person'. And what happens when this sort of support surrounds you, is that you leave Deakin with a confidence and a 'Can Do' attitude for that was how you were encouraged to be. Deakin Undergrads constantly tell me that within Deakin they are wholly encouraged to be individuals and supported for their thinking. It is this type of support that allows a generation of people to come through that can and will make changes

We have one very special person who fits that bill tonight. Aaron Sterns, best known for his work as co-writer of the film, Wolf Creek 2, and author of the novel Wolf Creek: Origin, which has been described as ‘one of the best serial killer novels out there ['] destined to be considered a classic in future years’., and why? Because I feel that Aaron Sterns goes beyond the gore, and horror to portray a society that may at times be far too disparate for its citizens. 


Having said that, I have three adult children who are at Uni, and recently they had a discussion with me about moving north during their summer holidays to find part time work on cattle stations, I thought 'Yes', they may become independent after all... but after reading Wolf Creek Origin, seeing Wolf Creek 2, and meeting Mick the protagonist through these, I have pretty much refused my children any sort of leave beyond the Victorian border. They can stay right where they are.




Aaron Sterns is also the author of various Award-nominated and Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror recommended short stories. He is a former lecturer in Gothic & Subversive Fiction and editor of The Journal of the Australian Horror Writers. To name a few. It gives me great pleasure to introduce Mr Aaron Sterns who has brought new meaning to horror, and made us all need a convoy of guards whenever we step into the outback. Please welcome Mr Aaron Sterns.  





Stella Dimadis
September 2014


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our

Writer's block

Writer's block The Writer's responsibility is to his art.  He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one.  He has a dream.  It anguishes him so much he must get rid of it.  He has no peace until then... William Faulkner  Having written films, articles, essays, reports, it has always, at one stage or another, plagued me when I have had writer's block.  That moment when I sit staring at the computer screen as if it is an alien standing it's ground in a duel for battle with me.  Eyeing me, daring me to drop my weapons of my imagination.  The frustration builds up and chocolate beckons, serenading the virtues of itself.  It is all too familiar, this battle, and I may have thrown my writing in all together had it not been for my editor in the late 90's when I completed some articles for Who Weekly. I remember grizzling into the phone line with him that my writing was not perfect...there was something missing...I couldn't pinpoint it...it didn't make
 Nature repeats itself "It never occurs to me that (skulls) have anything to do with death. They are very lively. I have enjoyed them very much in relation to the sky." Georgia O'Keefe In the previous blog, I wrote about the the human form and the importance of it in creativity and art.  Mastering the human form will allow the creator to master other forms in nature. I have some palm trees in the back yard which have surprised me by how high they have become.  They were sold as small trees and now over power my small back area, towering over the trees in suburban Melbourne.  Despite their height, I have enjoyed the changes that they display with each season.  I don't know much about palm trees, but come autumn, they shed some of the old branches and their bark.  Mornings I will wake to find these scattered in my very small yard, did I already say I have a small yard?  You can imagine the space these take.  In any case, recently I found a piece of the bark on the groun