Skip to main content

The art of relaxation

The art of relaxation.



Art raises its head where creeds relax.” Friedrich Nietzche


One of my friends, a very hard worker at that, is basking under the Mediterranean sun as I write this, and she has been telling me about the lack of creative work whilst on holidays. Creativity is a constant and when there are times that it does not occur, like on a holiday or in bed due to an illness, a panic can set in, well, lets just say I am definitely known to panic when I don't create and I gather, she has been very panicky, like me, by the shear fact that she isn't creating. This got me thinking about the different stages of creativity, or rather, more specifically the times that creativity is at its most conducive, and I have to add that the greatest inspirations for creativity to occur, do in fact, arise in times of relaxation.
Being on holidays when the mind is at its most rested does allow it to wonder to places that it dares not go under normal circumstances where the pressures of daily living impinge every facet and corner of its creativity. The senses are at their most receptive whilst on holidays, allowing the ideas that are formulating to become even greater than ever thought possible. It really is surprising to see what arises from the musings of feeling like there is not much to do.

Quietude, warmth, comfort, fresh air, the company of loving people, animals, the sea, the country, and perhaps even the silence will all conspire effectively towards the manifestation of blossoming ideas and concepts. I liken it to meditation where the mind is allowed to be blank for a while, but in doing this, a wealth of ideas begin to seep carefully into it, declaring their existence and sustainability.

I told me friend to relax, enjoy her holiday, she works far too hard every other day in her life, so she should use this time to think about the inspirations around her that are waiting to be recognised, and acknowledged, for there must be many. When it is time to start working again she can make the ideas concrete, palpable; works of art, ready to be admired. There should never be any guilt in time away from the every day.

There is the surreal, and satisfying creation that is claimable, the artistic goal to reach, but, it cannot be a reality if there is not a period of relaxation before hand to make it happen. Holidays, time away, are imperative in the creative process, for without them there will not be any inspirations. Feel the freedom, allow the mind to leave its comfort zone, and above all fly beyond the allowable boundaries for the real magic is beyond those. Art can only be raised where creeds relax, and whether it is societal values, religious constrictions or one's own daily ritual of work and no play, the same rules apply.

August 2015




Stella Dimadis



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our
 Nature repeats itself "It never occurs to me that (skulls) have anything to do with death. They are very lively. I have enjoyed them very much in relation to the sky." Georgia O'Keefe In the previous blog, I wrote about the the human form and the importance of it in creativity and art.  Mastering the human form will allow the creator to master other forms in nature. I have some palm trees in the back yard which have surprised me by how high they have become.  They were sold as small trees and now over power my small back area, towering over the trees in suburban Melbourne.  Despite their height, I have enjoyed the changes that they display with each season.  I don't know much about palm trees, but come autumn, they shed some of the old branches and their bark.  Mornings I will wake to find these scattered in my very small yard, did I already say I have a small yard?  You can imagine the space these take.  In any case, recently I found a piece of the bark on the groun

Writer's block

Writer's block The Writer's responsibility is to his art.  He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one.  He has a dream.  It anguishes him so much he must get rid of it.  He has no peace until then... William Faulkner  Having written films, articles, essays, reports, it has always, at one stage or another, plagued me when I have had writer's block.  That moment when I sit staring at the computer screen as if it is an alien standing it's ground in a duel for battle with me.  Eyeing me, daring me to drop my weapons of my imagination.  The frustration builds up and chocolate beckons, serenading the virtues of itself.  It is all too familiar, this battle, and I may have thrown my writing in all together had it not been for my editor in the late 90's when I completed some articles for Who Weekly. I remember grizzling into the phone line with him that my writing was not perfect...there was something missing...I couldn't pinpoint it...it didn't make