Skip to main content

This new landscape for content

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

Image result for fox studios




I just got back from attending the screening of Memories of a Doll at the 11th Los Angeles Greek Film Festival, which was absolutely amazing and held at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.  Thank you to everyone that helped bring this program together.  It was unforgettable!  It is such a joy to see a film that you had vehemently supported, come to life on the big screen.  

Coupled with the 11th LAGFF, I also attended the Produced By conference in LA, which is run by the Producer's Guild of America.  It was the second time that I had gone to this conference and for the second time the conference didn't disappoint.  This year it was held at Fox Studios and always such a great place to be whilst learning about film, for it's surrounds allows you to be a total dreamer about the future of content, this can't be helped.  I didn't have to dream too much, because the speakers relayed some interesting information about the new landscape for content.

This landscape is very new, particularly with the advent of Netflix and the similar platforms that are emerging, which only point to one thing, and that is the necessity to have content, or if you are a filmmaker, to continue to find and create new content.  At the moment there are so many buyers of content that it is a seller's market.  

Image result for the making of a murdererTo be sure the content has to be original and interesting, but no other time in history, has it been so easy to create work and have it shown.  With the creation of these platforms and the reorganisation of how viewers view television and their programs it has also opened up the way for shorter content.  Episodes that are no longer than ten minutes will become very popular.  Long form will also be popular, it is just that there will be a lot more spaces and places to view these.  All of these changes are positive changes for filmmakers or creators of content.  More and more new platforms are being launched with the latest being Facebook which will be on the lookout for producers who are willing to create content for Facebook. 
 
In essence if you are a filmmaker, with an idea, just push forward to the best of your ability and get it made.  If it takes you longer than anticipated, then so be it.  It took the producers of 'Making a Murderer', ten years to complete the series, with little money.  They are now onto their second season.  Such a good outcome for them!  

Almost every speaker at the conference talked about how exciting it was at the moment, for there has not been a better time in history, than right now, to be a filmmaker or storyteller.  Technology is moving at such a rapid pace that viewers are embracing all types of platforms to watch their programs.  So, lets keep moving forward and be curious about this new era, for as Walt Disney said, it is this curiosity that will lead us all down new paths.  Happy storytelling everyone!  

Stella Dimadis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our
 Nature repeats itself "It never occurs to me that (skulls) have anything to do with death. They are very lively. I have enjoyed them very much in relation to the sky." Georgia O'Keefe In the previous blog, I wrote about the the human form and the importance of it in creativity and art.  Mastering the human form will allow the creator to master other forms in nature. I have some palm trees in the back yard which have surprised me by how high they have become.  They were sold as small trees and now over power my small back area, towering over the trees in suburban Melbourne.  Despite their height, I have enjoyed the changes that they display with each season.  I don't know much about palm trees, but come autumn, they shed some of the old branches and their bark.  Mornings I will wake to find these scattered in my very small yard, did I already say I have a small yard?  You can imagine the space these take.  In any case, recently I found a piece of the bark on the groun

Writer's block

Writer's block The Writer's responsibility is to his art.  He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one.  He has a dream.  It anguishes him so much he must get rid of it.  He has no peace until then... William Faulkner  Having written films, articles, essays, reports, it has always, at one stage or another, plagued me when I have had writer's block.  That moment when I sit staring at the computer screen as if it is an alien standing it's ground in a duel for battle with me.  Eyeing me, daring me to drop my weapons of my imagination.  The frustration builds up and chocolate beckons, serenading the virtues of itself.  It is all too familiar, this battle, and I may have thrown my writing in all together had it not been for my editor in the late 90's when I completed some articles for Who Weekly. I remember grizzling into the phone line with him that my writing was not perfect...there was something missing...I couldn't pinpoint it...it didn't make