Skip to main content

Passion and the Arts

Art in its perfection is not ostentatious; it lies hid, and works its effect, itself unseen.-Joshua Reynolds 1774


From the moment that my prep teacher gave me some crayons and butcher paper at the age of five, without a word of English to be able to communicate to her and say 'thank you' I immediately gained an understanding of the universal language of art.

I found freedom. Whereas before I was constrained in being able to express myself I now had the tools to tell, what seemed to me to be the world, what I was seeing, feeling, noticing and appreciating. I was given wings in the true sense of the word. I began to fly and from that moment onwards I never stopped.

Creating all forms of art for me is how I function, mentally and physically; it is my way to express myself in all aspects of life. Thus at five years of age my passion for the Arts was formed and has stayed with me ever since.

It makes sense to note that when Winston Churchill was asked to cut arts funding in favour of the war effort, he simply replied, 'Then what are we fighting for?" Fighting for the arts and its merits is what I do on a daily basis for a society cannot exist without it, embellishing its every facet and factor, moving closely alongside science, philosophy and technology to make the world a better place.

Historically the arts have been at the centre of all major civilisations of the world and Australia should not be any different, looking at the Aboriginal contributions to the Arts and meshing this with Contemporary artistic thought will elevate Australian sensibility holistically and spiritually and bind a community that may at times feel isolated from the rest of the world. I see the importance everywhere and for that I will continue to support artists, filmmakers, and writers in any way that I can. If it is simply to view their works then that's what I do. Life as an artist is not easy, yet life without the arts cannot function so how does something of so much importance make it so hard for those that are working at it daily? This really doesn't make sense.

In the next day or so I will be launching the Pozible campaign for 25.12; a new short film that I have been working on which has excited me no end up to this point. The gist of the story-one man who finds himself all alone on Christmas day. One thing is certain though, my passion is ignited yet once again as I find myself embroiled in the act of creating.


As Mandela said... "There is no passion to be found playing small-in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." Nelson Mandela  














Stella Dimadis 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our

Writer's block

Writer's block The Writer's responsibility is to his art.  He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one.  He has a dream.  It anguishes him so much he must get rid of it.  He has no peace until then... William Faulkner  Having written films, articles, essays, reports, it has always, at one stage or another, plagued me when I have had writer's block.  That moment when I sit staring at the computer screen as if it is an alien standing it's ground in a duel for battle with me.  Eyeing me, daring me to drop my weapons of my imagination.  The frustration builds up and chocolate beckons, serenading the virtues of itself.  It is all too familiar, this battle, and I may have thrown my writing in all together had it not been for my editor in the late 90's when I completed some articles for Who Weekly. I remember grizzling into the phone line with him that my writing was not perfect...there was something missing...I couldn't pinpoint it...it didn't make
 Nature repeats itself "It never occurs to me that (skulls) have anything to do with death. They are very lively. I have enjoyed them very much in relation to the sky." Georgia O'Keefe In the previous blog, I wrote about the the human form and the importance of it in creativity and art.  Mastering the human form will allow the creator to master other forms in nature. I have some palm trees in the back yard which have surprised me by how high they have become.  They were sold as small trees and now over power my small back area, towering over the trees in suburban Melbourne.  Despite their height, I have enjoyed the changes that they display with each season.  I don't know much about palm trees, but come autumn, they shed some of the old branches and their bark.  Mornings I will wake to find these scattered in my very small yard, did I already say I have a small yard?  You can imagine the space these take.  In any case, recently I found a piece of the bark on the groun