Skip to main content

Hollywood

"I used to think as I looked out on the Hollywood night, 'There must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me dreaming of being a movie star.' But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest."
Marilyn Monroe.

This is my third time in Los Angeles and I've got to say I love this city.  It is not the just about the characters that roam, or the taxi drivers that seek to find me to keep me safe at all hours of the morning, or the buzz that is constant, like a never ending machine in my ear reminding me that I am in a place that is happening at a million hours per second.  It is about the small surprises that pop up to remind me again and again that I am existing in a moment that is truly special, that will embed in a memory to be brought up, that will always induce a giggle and a smile.


Upon arriving I found myself at the most logical place to stay, Dream Suites Hotel, Hollywood.  I figured that if dreams can come true than this is the place to make them happen.  


I wasn't wrong.  Vanity Fair is celebrating this month the up and coming "Young Hollywood" stars, the likes of Steve Yeun, Jena Malone, Max Minghella, and Kiernan Shipka.  However, here at the Dream Suites Hotel I've been confronted with history. Needless to say, I am staying in a place where Rudolph Valentino, Charlie Chaplin, and Douglas Fairbanks stayed in, the early bad boys of Hollywood, setting the bad boy of Hollywood example forever. Audrey Hepburn stayed in suite 51, Mae West was here too, and I wonder if Marilyn Monroe thought about her dream when she was here too, as she peered over the road at Paramount Studios.

The tour bus comes around all day, telling visitors about the importance of this hotel in Hollywood.  As I look out of my window, I see the colourful bus, and I hear the voice over the speaker.  Passengers stretching their necks for a glimpse of history.



There is a ghost too, believed to be Theda Bera, who roams at night, climbing the steps wearing a gorgeous black dress.  Apparently she had a certain type of look that she would give men, then disappear, leaving behind their surprise and a vision of her luscious black hair, and deep gazing eyes.  For those of those that don't know, she was the original Bette Boop.  I have yet to meet her, but am looking forward to it when I do.



The owner is George Pan- Andreas, a Hollywood legend himself, godson to Ginger Rogers.  He was brought to the USA by Kostas Manousakis in the 1990's to star in one of his films, this didn't eventuate, but a lead in Broadway Oresti's did, which set his entertainment career on an exciting path, chosen by Kevin Casselman who also represented stars such as Elizabeth Taylor, Bette Midler and George Hamilton.  To date he has performed in approximately 53 stage productions, movies such as Target, TV shows, such as General Hospital. The list is very long, but meeting George is more special for the values that he instills in the visitors to this hotel.  The main one is the need to provide a network for visitors and I have to say, this has been very exciting for me.  Csymbidium, also known as Candy, who works at the front desk has made sure that I meet as many people as I can, for in the past it was this support that made those legends in Hollywood and if it can be replicated again then that is good enough reason to support one another and encourage each other, for in a lot of ways, there is nothing greater than the beginnings of a'Star'.  I'm not saying that I am that Star, far from it, but there is plenty that walk up and down the steps in this hotel and look over at Paramount Studios that just may be.  Here's a great shot of Candy and myself in the office.  The image below this is George Pan-Andreas and Candy.
Los Angeles has been amazing, I am forever stimulated and excited by what's around me, constantly wide-eyed and happy.  I have to credit the people I have met and the wonderful surprise they have each become.  I believe dreams can come true, and if it is one place in Hollywood that this can happen, it is definitely in a place where others already walked that path; here at the Dream Suites Hotel.

Stella Dimadis
2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our...
 RENTAL FAMILY "Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family." -  Anthony Brandt . My days became one jumbled hour after hour where time disappeared into another year, until here we are, the 1st of January 2026.  Nothing much stirred me to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, until this evening after  watching RENTAL FAMILY, starring Brendan Fraser.  Phillip Vanderploeg is a struggling actor who is selected to fill in for families as an individual with significance to the family member in need.  He is a writer, dad, mourner, not so much as a true story but reminiscent of Japanese companies serving the community by providing professional actors at events like funerals or weddings. Thereby formulating a whole new meaning to the responsibilities of a plus one. At its core, the film celebrates the connection of the human spirit; the inherent social need that humans have to socialising, being together, in all asp...

The Art In Healing

  "Our creativity is what enables us to function, day to day, in a changing environment, without it we would not be a surviving species". Richard Hill ‘The Art In Healing’ explores the role that creativity and art  play in people’s lives, particularly when personal trauma occurs or when people are afflicted by natural disasters. The inspiration for the film came about by contemplating the questions; ‘Why is art such an important aspect to civilisation and our society’? and ‘Does the human brain benefit from interacting with art, and if so, how’? From these questions a number of people offered their experience and research, especially in describing brain plasticity and the ability of the brain to rewire after an artistic experience. ‘The Art In Healing’ showcases a number of professionals, ranging from art therapists Simona Weinstein and Cornelia Elbrecht, therapist Richard Hill, musicians, Merelyn and David Carter, artist, Dr Anne Riggs, street artist, Amanda Newman...