Skip to main content

 'Life Drawing' , 

Pablo Picasso had once said that "In drawing, nothing is better than the first attempt." 

I am not entirely sure about that sentiment, at least not in the life drawing class that I attended this evening.  I hadn't been to life drawing class in about fifteen years and when I contemplated that thought I wondered to myself why that was so.  I had always enjoyed life drawing for it had taught me to look closely at the subject; every line, wrinkle, muscle ripple, shadow, shape of the human body and once that had been mastered I had the confidence to draw anything on the planet. 

Nature repeats itself time and time again, shapes inherent in the human body will be seen elsewhere.

But back to Picasso, hmm, I'm not sure that the first attempt in the life drawing class is anything to brag about.  In Life drawing classes the poses are initially for a short time, and then they get longer to allow the warm up of the brain and the hand.  So in essence the first attempt in life drawing is just a warm up.

I had planned to use ink for the longer poses which were 20 minutes each and by then, I had been accustomed to the model's body-It's shape, posture and command of the space.  Every model commands the space differently, and will use their space according to their individuality, some will have props and others will lounge about or contort to exhibit the potential of the human form.

Every inch of the human body is fascinating and full of wonder, so it is no surprise that artists have used the body as a point of reference, or used models as their muses time and time again.  Muses are inspirational, especially in the creation of art.  Diego's love for Frida Kahlo may have at times served as Kahlo's muse.  In the following portrait she had depicted Diego Riviera on her forehead.

'Diego on my mind', Frida Kahlo, 1943

I was slightly nervous with the use of ink, as I wasn't sure that I would be able to control the brush and ink to create an effective piece, but I love using ink for it dries very quickly and because it is monochromatic I like that I can go over it with a darker intensity to create the shadows or lines that are obvious. 

The two art pieces were from twenty minute poses.  Enough time to focus on the light and shapes.

I had to work quickly, but I was happy with that, and I wanted the lines to have energy and movement.  Most of that energy I think was coming mainly from me, possibly with the excitement of having been in a life drawing class after so many years.  At the conclusion of the class, the model came to look at the works and absorbed them, remarking that the art works are always fascinating, particularly as each artist's interpretation of the model will without fail, be different.


Enjoy

Stella Grammenos-Dimadis








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our...
 RENTAL FAMILY "Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family." -  Anthony Brandt . My days became one jumbled hour after hour where time disappeared into another year, until here we are, the 1st of January 2026.  Nothing much stirred me to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, until this evening after  watching RENTAL FAMILY, starring Brendan Fraser.  Phillip Vanderploeg is a struggling actor who is selected to fill in for families as an individual with significance to the family member in need.  He is a writer, dad, mourner, not so much as a true story but reminiscent of Japanese companies serving the community by providing professional actors at events like funerals or weddings. Thereby formulating a whole new meaning to the responsibilities of a plus one. At its core, the film celebrates the connection of the human spirit; the inherent social need that humans have to socialising, being together, in all asp...

The Art In Healing

  "Our creativity is what enables us to function, day to day, in a changing environment, without it we would not be a surviving species". Richard Hill ‘The Art In Healing’ explores the role that creativity and art  play in people’s lives, particularly when personal trauma occurs or when people are afflicted by natural disasters. The inspiration for the film came about by contemplating the questions; ‘Why is art such an important aspect to civilisation and our society’? and ‘Does the human brain benefit from interacting with art, and if so, how’? From these questions a number of people offered their experience and research, especially in describing brain plasticity and the ability of the brain to rewire after an artistic experience. ‘The Art In Healing’ showcases a number of professionals, ranging from art therapists Simona Weinstein and Cornelia Elbrecht, therapist Richard Hill, musicians, Merelyn and David Carter, artist, Dr Anne Riggs, street artist, Amanda Newman...