Skip to main content

 Nature repeats itself


"It never occurs to me that (skulls) have anything to do with death. They are very lively. I have enjoyed them very much in relation to the sky." Georgia O'Keefe


In the previous blog, I wrote about the the human form and the importance of it in creativity and art.  Mastering the human form will allow the creator to master other forms in nature.

I have some palm trees in the back yard which have surprised me by how high they have become.  They were sold as small trees and now over power my small back area, towering over the trees in suburban Melbourne.  Despite their height, I have enjoyed the changes that they display with each season.  I don't know much about palm trees, but come autumn, they shed some of the old branches and their bark.  Mornings I will wake to find these scattered in my very small yard, did I already say I have a small yard?  You can imagine the space these take.  In any case, recently I found a piece of the bark on the ground and I thought in my mind that it was the bones and skull of a cow.  


The shape was similarly uncanny, and straight away I thought about Georgia O'Keefe and her skulls, floating in the sky, when I then realised I am far away from the desert, and there couldn't possibly be such a small skull of a cow in my small backyard.

Right there, I thought again, look at how nature just repeats itself.  It seems that certain designs just work, and then nature just keeps on creating them in places least expected.


Below, is 'Ram's Head, Blue morning glory, 1938,

Georgia O'Keefe

The similarities are so prominent and obvious, I can be forgiven for thinking that a small cow's skull landed in my backyard.

Georgia O'Keefe used a variety of medium for her works, pastels and watercolours to name a few.  The skulls were collected after a drought in New Mexico.  They must have been an intriguing lonely sight in the desert, sad really after a drought and the impact that nature can have.  They are quite ethereal, as if rising into the sky, to perhaps a new reincarnated life.  I could be reading too much into it though.

I then decided to create my day three challenge, and thought that I would draw the bark, then use water colour.  My artistic energy as an artist though does not sit well with water colour.


It is a beautiful medium, but I like the thickness and boldness of what acrylic paint can offer, and when I use water colour, the wash, pale effects turn to layers which defeats the purpose, so when I say layers, I mean paint layers.  I'm not happy with this piece, but I enjoyed working with the shape I found, and realised that no matter how hard I try, I just cannot work with water colour.  I let my bark float in the air and I incorporated some flowers too, I was interested in the choice of orange for the background which gives the work a fiery almost apocalyptic feel, and it is this notion from the piece that I might like to consider further.

So, there is always value in what we create.

Enjoy


Stella Grammenos-Dimadis






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.

"Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. "   Corrie Ten Boom Corrie Ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker, who had helped many Jews escape during the Holocaust, was a prisoner and then a writer.  She held many memories, no doubt, fears; images that would stay forever and haunt her, but they were able to unlock a future for her that she would never have imagined.  Her writing and her boldness initiated her knighthood by the Queen of the Netherlands, The King's College in New York City named a new women's house in her honour, her book "The Hiding Place", was  made into a feature film, twice. Locked away in our computer hard drives are examples of our work and lives that we lock away when our computer sleeps, forgetting about their importance because we are always told to focus on the now, forgetting about our past.  Well, perhaps it is time that we also learn to love our past, regardless of what it was like, so that we can understand what our...
 RENTAL FAMILY "Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family." -  Anthony Brandt . My days became one jumbled hour after hour where time disappeared into another year, until here we are, the 1st of January 2026.  Nothing much stirred me to put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, until this evening after  watching RENTAL FAMILY, starring Brendan Fraser.  Phillip Vanderploeg is a struggling actor who is selected to fill in for families as an individual with significance to the family member in need.  He is a writer, dad, mourner, not so much as a true story but reminiscent of Japanese companies serving the community by providing professional actors at events like funerals or weddings. Thereby formulating a whole new meaning to the responsibilities of a plus one. At its core, the film celebrates the connection of the human spirit; the inherent social need that humans have to socialising, being together, in all asp...

The Art In Healing

  "Our creativity is what enables us to function, day to day, in a changing environment, without it we would not be a surviving species". Richard Hill ‘The Art In Healing’ explores the role that creativity and art  play in people’s lives, particularly when personal trauma occurs or when people are afflicted by natural disasters. The inspiration for the film came about by contemplating the questions; ‘Why is art such an important aspect to civilisation and our society’? and ‘Does the human brain benefit from interacting with art, and if so, how’? From these questions a number of people offered their experience and research, especially in describing brain plasticity and the ability of the brain to rewire after an artistic experience. ‘The Art In Healing’ showcases a number of professionals, ranging from art therapists Simona Weinstein and Cornelia Elbrecht, therapist Richard Hill, musicians, Merelyn and David Carter, artist, Dr Anne Riggs, street artist, Amanda Newman...